The container is the loading unit used for the intermodal transport of goods. With the international agreements in the 1970s, the standardization of the dimensions, sizes and volumes of the containers and the diffusion of the ISO Container – International Organization for Standardization for air, sea and land transport were carried out. The use of the standard container in international transport has made it possible to increase the volume of transported goods, reduce damage to goods and improve logistics operations in terms of speed of loading and unloading throughout the world.
The agreements have decided that each type of container has:
– standard dimensions;
– homogeneous attacks to improve the handling of docks, wharves and warehouses worldwide;
– a unique format number: 4 letters (the first three identify the owner of the company), 6 numbers and a final number called a check digit, obtained from a calculation algorithm in the previous 4 letters and 6 digits.
Today, many types of containers can be used to meet all transport needs: Box Container, High Cube Container, Flat-Rack Container, Open Top Container, Temperature Controlled Container Reefer, containers configured to carry hanging garments.
There are also special containers subject to availability by the ocean carrier such as Tank-Containers and 45-foot containers. Standard ISO Containers can also be used to transport liquids, thanks to the installation inside the container of a flexible tank called Flexitank. Cargomar can offer the most suitable solution to the customers’ needs, taking into account the destinations served by the main carriers, the type of goods to be transported, optimizing transport times and costs.
Cargomar srl informs all its customers that:
– the dimensions and characteristics indicated below are considered to be indicative only;
– Each Maritime Company may have equipment with slightly different sizes;
– It is mandatory to load the maximum weight indicated on the container doors and, in any case, to comply with the restrictions established by the importing country;
– Cargomar srl is not responsible for the difference between what is indicated and the actual dimensions and characteristics of the reserved equipment;
– it is necessary to take into account the loss of space due to the size of the container;
– Cargomar srl, in accordance with the provisions of the C-TPAT Program and for services related to U.S. traffic routes, has established inspection methods for the containers used, which must be communicated to the shipper;
– it is necessary to inspect the container before loading, to verify the absence of damage;
– Cargo must be evenly distributed and properly secured within the container;
– The equipment used for loading, must not damage the container. Example: Do not use heavy trolleys to contain the goods, as they could damage the wooden floor of the container;
– It is necessary to check that your goods are well packed to avoid damage due to moisture and salt during sea transport;
– The shipper is obliged to seal the container personally;
– Loading operations must be carried out within the time limits laid down in current transport regulations;
– In case of transport of frozen, liquid and dangerous goods it is necessary to follow the instructions that our personnel will communicate to avoid damage to the cargo.
Join our mailing list
You will receive directly in your mailbox our proposals, promotions, updates of our services and news from the shipping world.
Cargomar – Naples Head Office
IT-80147 Napoli Via Provinciale
Botteghelle di Portici 242
Tel: +39 081 5846569
Tel: +39 081 7593295
IT-20090 Segrate Milano
Via Cassanese 224 Palazzo Caravaggio
Tel: +39 02 2138851
Tel: +39 02 2137042
IT-81024 Maddaloni CE
Interporto Sud Europa
Tel: +39 0823 1833740
Tel: +39 320 9647741
We offer a wide range of transport and logistics solutions that are functionally integrated with your company’s needs.
Our teams are always available to offer customized solutions for the correct functioning of the supply chain.
Contact us to know our services.